- In general, cannot create new component (e.g., a custom muscle; though there are some exceptions).
- Cannot create plugins for use through the GUI or command-line.
- In Matlab/Python, there’s no access to OpenSim's plotter (use Matlab/Python native plotter) or visualizer (use the Simbody visualizer).
- Many SimTK/Simbody classes (that belong to the SimTK namespace and simbody internals) are not available (e.g., integrators).
- The scripting shell in the OpenSim GUI (which is a Jython interpreter embedded in the application)
The sections below outline how to get started with scripting and describe the available functionality.